Nov 23, 2008

I always forget


Everytime someone discusses the east coast cold I think I understand what they mean. I have, after all, been here for over 6 years. I wonder then, why each and every winter I get hit with the thought, "I cannot believe it is this cold." This year has been no different. This week has been especially cold for it not even being winter yet. As I get ready to go out, I think,"Oh this jacket will be just fine and maybe a pair of gloves," and then I freeze. I am nicer to my girls.
Two days ago I took the girls out to play in the nearby park. (Really it was just for Ali to play in the huge pile of leaves that the gardeners piled up). While Ali had loads of fun, and we stayed out far longer than I would have had I been alone, after about an hour we headed inside because it was just too cold. The girls both had on gloves, hats and jackets, along with warm underclothes and shoes, but this is what the babies cheeks looked like even after about a 15 minute warm-up. She has gotten to the point where she likes to face outward in the baby Bjorn. Nick, of course, as the hypochondriatic med student, thought she had frost bite. She did not. Though, from now on I think I will cover her face somehow when we go out for long periods.


I finally took out Alicia's warm jacket from the winter closet. Luckily, it still fits; I hope it does all winter.


We bought this really cute bunting yesterday. I think it will work better to keep our little one a bit warmer, plus it is really soft.
I really should amend this before I post it. When I mean that it was cold, I mean it is in the 40's and high 30's which to me is frightfully cold. Give it a month and I will think, "I can't wait for it to hit 40 again." If we had this weather in February or even March, sorority girls would be out in our park in their bikinis, but I don't even want to think of that now. I guess if we all remembered, New England would be empty.

2 comments:

Brynn said...

Oh, I remember those winters! I had never understood why people wore scarves until I moved to Boston. I do not miss that weather.

Adele said...

I know what you mean about thinking that outfit would be fine and then later freezing. That happened to me when I visited you and you told me that I wouldn´t need a thicker jacket! Now I know better and next time I come I will not believe your underestimation of the weather. Kat´s cheeks are so pink.